Sunday, May 12, 2013

Day 27 - San Andreas Fault 35°07'N 119°39'W

After a month in foreign countries, I finally landed in  the United States of America. I landed in Taft, California and made my way from the airport to my hotel. After resting for a couple days I contacted my Rental Car company. I picked up my off-road ATV and was ready to go.

http://www.sanandreasfault.org/Pictures.html
My destination was 20 miles west of Taft; the Sand Andreas Fault. I drove through miles of sandy hills, with dust blowing through my face, until I arrived after an hour of driving. The ATV was caked in dirt, and the paint was bleach white from the sun. I tried not to worry about the damage as I took a look at my destination. It was incredible! The Earth looked like it was just teared in half. The ground was cracked and the surface was rough and uneven.

The Sand Andreas Fault Line is a transform boundary that runs 810 miles through California. A transform boundary is a boundary between two plates that are sliding past each other. In the San Andreas Fault, the North American Plate and the Pacific Plates are sliding past each other at a rate of up to 5 centimeters every year. Southwestern California is part of the Pacific plate, which moves northwest, while the rest of the US is part of the North American Plate, which moves southeast. The result of these plates sliding past each other results in earthquake activity. Living in this area can be very dangerous, and in August 27, 2011, this part of California was hit with hundreds of earthquakes, some measuring a 5.5 magnitude!
http://www.gweaver.net/

1 comment:

  1. Very nice, Rocky. Reading your posts was like reading a story, not just an article. _A hacker :) (ED-Y)

    ReplyDelete